Howdy, I'm Simba!

Howdy!  

My first family had to move when I was just a puppy, and I was left in a friend's yard. There, all alone, I gradually went nearly blind from juvenile cataracts and then my retinas detached.  Now I only can see a little out of one eye. I was all by myself in the yard, so I invented a digging game where I dig and then listen for where the dirt falls. It's the only way I had to amuse myself. 

The family whose yard I was in got tired of having me there, and brought me to the vet to have me put down. The vet took me in, half bald and covered in fleas, heartworm positive, and nearly blind.  

I've been treated for heartworms, neutered, and you can see my hair has regrown beautifully.  The ophthalmologist says they can do surgery to help keep my retinas from detaching the rest of the way, so I may be able to keep what vision I have, and the wonderful people at WAGS will help my forever family fund the procedure. 

My foster family had new puppy and two other dogs, with whom I love to play. I can wrestle with another big dog like nobody's business!  I love to run in the yard when the other dogs run or fetch.   If you leave me alone in the yard, I will get bored, and start to play by myself. Usually I dig holes and listen to the dirt fall.  

Sometimes the cat darts by, and all I see is something running, so I trot over to see what it is, but it's just the boring cat and not a squirrel, so I leave him alone. 

The kids pet me sometimes, but mostly I just stay out of their way, because when they run around and I can't see them, it's a little tough for me to play along. 

When I'm not playing, I love sitting quietly in my crate, which is my safe place to eat.  I haven't really gotten interested in getting on the furniture, so if you don't like dogs on your couch, I'm the pooch for you! Over months I have learned what chew toys are. I have gotten to ride in the car (I love it!), and more love than in the rest of my life.  

I love being pet and I howl and whine excitedly when I hear my foster mom come home from work. Come pet me!  

The only thing I don't like is being scared.  If there's loud noises/yelling or I think I'm in trouble, I hide in my crate. Don't chase me, because I'll feel cornered. Just let me calm down, or offer me treats so I know you're not going to hurt me.  I wish I could talk because then I could tell my people whether I was beaten, or just am scared because I can't see well and can't tell whether the noise is directed at me.  

I would love a family with another big dog!  In fact, I have a year old labrador foster brother who can come with me, if you want to expand your family by two. Cats, small dogs, and school aged children are all fine with me, too.  I don't mind boisterous play but I wouldn't like to live with a family that sounds scary -- so please, no yelling at sports on the TV!

My mom says: Simba is in Texas but we can have him transported anywhere in North America to a qualified home. Apply to WAGS Rescue.

Comments

  1. I see now he is 4. Still pretty young. We have a large back yard and3 other large dogs he can play with.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts